The Seattle Greater Metropolitan Area is known for wet weather, from stormy nights to rainy days and all the seasonal changes in between, it is imperative that your home is ready to take on the ever changing weather. When it comes to protecting your home and loved ones from severe weather, storm-proofing your roof is of utmost importance. Your roof is your first line of defense against wind, rain, and other elements that pacific northwest storms can bring.
1. Schedule Regular Roof Inspections
Regular roof inspections are a fundamental step in storm-proofing your home. By having a professional inspect your roof on a regular basis, you can identify and address potential issues before they become major problems. We offer a 17 point inspection guaranteeing that your roof is ready and able to weather any storm.
Some key points of inspection are:
- Shingle Condition: We inspect the condition of your shingles, looking for any signs of damage, curling, or lifting. Damaged shingles should be replaced promptly to prevent water from seeping in during storms.
- Flashing Integrity: We also check the condition of roof flashing, which seals joints and vulnerable areas like roof valleys and chimneys. Damaged or corroded flashing can lead to leaks.
- Gutter and Downspout Connections: We ensure that gutters and downspouts are securely attached to the roof and that water can flow freely through them. Clogged gutters can lead to overflow and water damage. Should your gutters need cleaned or repaired our team of experts are ready to service your gutter needs. Click here to learn more about our gutter services.
- Attic Inspection: We can also examine the attic for signs of leaks, such as water stains or mold growth. Proper attic ventilation and insulation are crucial to prevent moisture-related issues during storms. Click here to learn about our attic services.
2. Reinforce Roof Decking and Support Structures
Your roof’s decking and support structures are essential for maintaining its integrity during storms. Taking the following measures can help reinforce these critical components:
- Inspect Roof Decking: Check the condition of your roof’s decking for damage, rot, or weak spots. Damaged decking can lead to water leaks during heavy rain.
- Secure and Replace Weak or Rotted Wood: Replace any weakened or rotted wood immediately. This will ensure the structural integrity of your roof during storms.
- Evaluate Roof Trusses and Supports: Ensure that the roof’s trusses and support structures are in good condition and capable of withstanding the forces of strong winds and heavy snow.
3. Upgrade Roofing Materials for Durability
Choosing the right roofing materials can make a significant difference in your roof’s ability to withstand storms. Guardian Roofing offers a wide variety of quality roofing materials and trained professional installation. Whether you’re looking to repair or replace your roof, the biggest factor in quality roofing is expert installation. Call 877-926-9966, or schedule your inspection online »
Consider the following options when choosing the right roofing material to protect your home against stormy elements:
- Impact-Resistant Shingles: Upgrade to impact-resistant shingles designed to withstand hail, strong winds, and debris impact. These shingles are less likely to get damaged during storms.
- Metal Roofing: Metal roofs are known for their durability and resistance to severe weather. They can withstand high winds, heavy rain, and hail.
4. Maintain and Protect Gutters and Downspouts
Properly functioning gutters and downspouts are crucial for directing water away from your home and preventing water damage. It is imperative that routine servicing is provided to maintain and protect your gutter system. Click here to learn more about our gutter services.
- Regular Cleaning: Clean your gutters and downspouts regularly to ensure they are free from debris. Clogged gutters can lead to water overflow, which can damage your roof, siding, and foundation. If your house is shaded by a tree, debris from the tree can clog your gutters. The lack of sunlight can also cause algae growth on your gutters. Guardian Roofing can help clean and maintain your gutters.
- Gutter Guards: Installing gutter guards prevents leaves and debris from clogging your gutters. This will help ensure your gutter system operates efficiently during heavy rain. Guardian is proud to offer Gutter Guards so you don’t have to worry about clogged or failing gutters. Click here to learn more about Guardian’s gutter guards.
5. Prepare an Emergency Kit and Plan
Storm-proofing your home goes beyond just the physical structure; it also involves being prepared for emergencies. Here’s how to create an emergency kit and plan for your family:
- Emergency Kit: Assemble an emergency kit that includes essential supplies such as non-perishable food, water, flashlights, batteries, a first-aid kit, and important documents. Keep this kit easily accessible in case of power outages or evacuations.
- Family Communication Plan: Establish a family communication plan to ensure everyone knows what to do in case of a storm. This plan should include meeting points, contact information, and evacuation routes.
- Stay Informed: Stay informed about weather forecasts and warnings. Invest in a weather radio or download a weather app to receive real-time updates.
- Evacuation Plan: If you live in an area prone to severe storms, develop an evacuation plan. Know where you will go, how you will get there, and what to take with you.
Storm-proofing your roof and home is an essential responsibility for homeowners. Regular inspections, maintenance, and the right roofing materials can help protect your home from storm-related damage.Guardian Roofing is here to provide expert inspections and services to ensure that your home is prepared to weather any storm. By following these top five ways to storm-proof your roof and home, you can gain peace of mind and protect your property. Call 877-926-9966, or schedule your inspection online »