Living in the Seattle Tacoma Metropolitan area, homeowners have a lot to consider when designing or remodeling their home.
With temperamental weather shining one minute and storming the next there’s no denying that you have to do your research and find the best materials for your home. This is especially true when we’re talking about roofing. Oh yes, the most important choice for your exterior. Choosing the correct roofing to withstand the elements, compliment your exterior aesthetic, and be kind to your wallet can be a little challenging but we’re here to recommend considering Asphalt Shingles.
Let’s first discuss what they are. Asphalt Shingles are made from either organic materials or fiberglass. The organic shingles are a combination of waste paper, asphalt, salt coatings and ceramic granules. Fiberglass on the other hand, are shingles made from glass fiber that is then coated in asphalt and minerals such as mica, schist, quartz, slate, ceramic, and/or stone. Mineral and asphalt coatings are what make the shingles waterproof, which is a necessity in the Seattle Tacoma Metropolitan area. To explore asphalt shingles further, we’ve curated a pros and cons list. If you’d like to know more, call 877-926-9966 or contact our knowledgeable team of experts today!
- Affordable: Asphalt shingles are easier on the wallet compared to many other materials. While we don’t suggest skimping on your roof, we do believe that you can have great, effective roofing at a reasonable price.
- Reliable: As we noted previously, the mineral and asphalt coatings make these shingles waterproof. That means that they can hold up to the rain, water, and other flurries that land on your roof.
- Classic and Traditional: Asphalt shingles are a tried and true classic when it comes to roofing. They are able to compliment a variety of exteriors giving you the versatility to change the exterior paint or other remodels without having to change your roofing as well. This is also beneficial if you decide to put your house on the market at a later date.
- Available in a Variety of Colors and Sizes: While combating the elements of the Seattle Tacoma Metropolitan area is important, having a roof that matches your exterior is also necessary. Asphalt Shingles come in the traditional brown, black, and neutral colors but you can also choose Asphalt Shingles in colors like blue, red or green. In addition to choosing a color that complements your siding and shutter colors well, you can also choose the shape that is complementary to your existing exterior.
- Easy Installation: Whether you’re an experienced roofer or you’re hiring a contractor, choosing a roofing material that is easy to install saves you time and money. Asphalt shingles are lighter and smaller than other competing roofing materials such as metal that come in larger sheets. They also don’t require any special tools or accessories in order to install them, such as roof edges, vent flashings or wall terminations. This can help you save on labor costs during your roofing installation, and it helps to ensure your project is completed in a timely manner. If you are not an experienced roofer, this task is dangerous and your roofing should be installed by a professional. Our experienced, professional contractors are ready to tackle your roofing needs, contact us today!
- Easy Maintenance: Shingles of good quality that are properly installed should last 20 or more years. However, due to weather and other circumstances out of your control, they may need some maintenance time and again. Good News! Shingles that are damaged can easily be replaced. This makes your roofing more sustainable and also more budget friendly long term, should disaster strike.
- Rust and Corrosion Free: Because Asphalt shingles are coated, they are waterproof lending them to be free of corrosion and rust like clay or metal.
Do you think that Asphalt Shingles may be the right fit for your home? Call us at 877-926-9966 or contact a member of our service team today to schedule your free consultation.
All roofing materials have benefits and drawbacks and unfortunately, Asphalt Shingles are no different. While there are numerous advantages to using them there are a few disadvantages.
- Not the Most Durable: Asphalt Shingles of good quality that are properly installed can last 20-30 years. While this is a fairly lengthy lifespan it can be minimal when compared to other roofing such as metal which can last over 50 years.
- Damaged by Weather: If you live along the coast, you are no stranger to windy days. Asphalt shingles can be damaged or ripped off of your roof during periods of high winds. Another thing to note is that your homeowners’ insurance might not cover a replacement roof if there is a storm that causes damage. For more information contact one of our team members.
- Moss and Mildew: It’s no secret that weather in the PNW is wet most of the year. Although Asphalt Shingles are waterproof, roofs that are shaded or covered can be susceptible to moss and/or mildew. Avoid these by having your roof cleaned regularly. To schedule a cleaning, contact our team today!
- Not Energy Efficient: While Asphalt Shingles are not the least energy efficient material however, they are also not top rated. They tend to have a lower insulation value and could ultimately affect your roof’s lifetime if not maintained. For questions, or more information on roofing insulation, contact our team today!
- Installed During Warm Months: For the best quality of installation, Asphalt Shingles need to be installed during the warmer months. Unfortunately, this limits the opportunity for installation to warmer spring, summer, and the beginning fall months.
- Environmental Effect: Because shingles are made of petrol and other harmful materials, they can release toxins into the air and can be hard to dispose of. Even the more organic, fiberglass shingles can take up space and be hard to decompose in landfills. Proper maintenance can prolong the lifespan of your roof, for more information or to schedule an inspection, contact us today!
There are many choices and factors to consider when picking a roofing material for your home. Weather, exterior esthetic, and longevity are all factors that can contribute to your ultimate decision. Like any material, Asphalt Shingles come with a few drawbacks, however they also come with a substantial amount of benefits as well. For questions or more information on Asphalt Shingles and if they are a good fit for your home, call 877-926-9966 or contact our team today!