The old adage ‘When it rains, it pours” Isn’t always true. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we get all types of wet weather from blowing snow to long misty rains. And, gutters on our homes are important to protect our homes from the wet weather.
How Gutters Work
If designed and installed properly, your gutters collect rainwater and ice melt from your roof and channel it to the ground through a downspout. During a rain, water rolls down from the slope of the roof to the gutters carrying with it dirt and debris from your roof. As the water and debris collects, it travels through the gutter system to the downspout, which carries the water from the gutters to the base of the house. The water is diverted away from your foundation to protect your home from flooding and water damage.
Why Gutters Are Important
Rain gutters are incredibly important, especially in the Pacific Northwest, because they protect your home from rain and water damage. Without an efficient gutter system, rainwater would likely collect in your roof under the shingles, causing rot, deterioration, and mold. This will weaken your shingles, soffit, and fascia. Without gutters, gravity would pull the water down from your roof across your siding to your windows and foundation. Moisture accumulating in the windows causes condensation, which damages the sill and interior walls. Not to mention, mold and grime can develop and permanently damage your siding. When water pools against your foundation, it can cause erosion, weaken the integrity and structure of your foundation, and cause basement or crawl space flooding.
However, gutters can weaken and become damaged if not taken care of properly. Leaves and other debris easily block gutters from working properly. Once debris builds up, water will overflow and damage the siding of your home. Heavy storms and high winds can also misalign your gutter system. This can weaken your gutters and cause them to break entirely or at the very least, become inefficient. And, if your gutters aren’t cleaned regularly, they can clog and eventually the water and debris will cause corrosion of the gutters themselves.
Gutters have other benefits also:
- Prevent landscaping damage and soil erosion. Water tends to fan out, puddle, or carve into the soil if it is not funneled properly. Properly installed gutter systems should redirect the water in a specific way to prevent water from moving across sidewalks and driveways where it can freeze and cause accidents. Your home should have a drainage plan so that water from the gutters is directed as far as possible from your home’s foundation to prevent erosion.
- Keep your foundation stable and your basement or crawl space dry. Water is a powerful force of nature. Over time, water and ice can damage your foundation and allow water to collect under your home. Water problems under your home can mean damage to your plumbing system, pests, and mold, moss or mildew growth.
- Enhance the aesthetics of your home’s exterior. Gutters can complement the siding, roof color, and the rest of the house. There are various gutter materials to choose from. Vinyl gutters come in various colors and are usually the most affordable. Copper gutters are expensive but do have a certain curb appeal. Another option is aluminum. It is a very common material used to make gutters and it is very durable.
- Preserve roofing shingles, roofing structure and other materials. It is important that rainwater doesn’t build-up beneath the roof structure. If it does, it damages your roofing material and leads to roof leaks. These roof leaks can cause further damage to your attic insulation, ceilings, and your home’s HVAC system.
- Protection for your siding. It doesn’t matter what kind of siding your home has, even the highest quality siding gets damaged over time. Missing, damaged, or clogged gutters allow rainwater to soak and stain anything in its path, including your beautiful siding.
Gutters are an extremely important investment when it comes to protecting your home. Most homeowners might not realize the extremely important role gutters play in keeping your home and property safe from water damage. Knowing these components will help you appreciate the value that gutters provide:
- Gutter sections are the horizontal gutter material that attaches to your home, which can be made of various materials, like vinyl, copper, or aluminum.
- Gutter Guards screen out debris that would clog your gutters, like leaves, nests, twigs, and other materials. This debris makes it difficult for water to pass through freely.
- Downspouts drain water from the gutter sections to the ground around your house.
- Downspout extensions are attached to the end of the downspout to control the flow of water so that it empties into a specific area away from your foundation.
- Hangers are the support system for your gutters. Hangers are designed for various uses, standard hangers, heavy-duty hangers, K style hangers, etc.
Gutter Installation, Gutter Repair and Gutter Maintenance
Because of our high quality gutters and gutter protection systems, we are able to provide an exclusive 30-year no clog guarantee on all gutter protection systems we install.
Our Gutters Services include…
- Installation: Guardian offers seamless custom gutters made onsite to fit your home and aesthetic.
- Cleaning: Our comprehensive cleaning service includes cleaning out debris, sealing all end-caps and miters (corner), and reinforcing with hidden hanger to maintain strength and durability.
- Gutter Guards: Our top of the line gutter guards protect your gutters from becoming clogged by debris and roof granules, ultimately extending the life of your gutters and protecting your home.
- Gutter Repair: We can repair your existing gutters after an assessment of the repairs needed, or advise you on a replacement.
The Industry’s Finest Gutter Guards Are Available Across North America Thanks to GutterDome
Are you tired of leaves, insects and other debris clogging up your home’s gutters? GutterDome’s “Award Winning” gutter guards are the solution you’ve been waiting for. Instead of climbing a ladder to clean out your gutters by hand, our guards prevent debris from blocking your gutters in the first place. This means that your rain gutter system will function optimally year-round, giving you peace of mind that your home’s foundation, walls, fascia and landscaping are protected from the water damage that can occur when clogged gutters overflow.
Benefits of Our Gutter Guards
So, what sets GutterDome’s gutter guards apart from the rest? The answer is simple – quality. Our products are carefully crafted to ensure the highest standard of performance and longevity. Here are some of their features:
- Constructed from military-grade 6063 extruded aluminum that has been tempered to T5, allowing for unparalleled strength
- A coating of a clear anodized finish that will prevent corrosion and improve longevity
- A multi-patented dome shape to keep debris from compiling on top of your gutter guards
- 4” – 5” and 6” – 7” sizes to fit nearly any gutter system
- An impressive 30-Year Lifetime Limited Warranty that is automatically transferrable should you decide to sell your house down the road
Guardian Roofing recommends that your roof be inspected at least once a year. Doing this, and investing in a regular maintenance program, can prolong the life of your roof, give you the peace of mind, and prevent damage to your home.
When your home is ready for a new roof, repairs, or maintenance, you need a reliable, dependable roof repair company. You count on you roofing contractor to keep your home safe and dry. Guardian Roofing is committed to providing top-quality service, professionalism and workmanship.
If you are looking for a roof repair contractor please call us today at 877-926-9966 or complete our online service request form »