Check Roof Repairs and Maintenance OFF your Spring To-Do List
You might assume a roof needs attention only when it’s damaged or leaking. Just like everything else, your roof needs cleaning and maintenance in order to function efficiently. Though easily overlooked, your roof is your home’s first line of defense against the elements and often receives the toughest beating. Here in the Pacific Northwest, the fluctuating temperatures, heavy tree coverage, and heavier rainfall means your roof has the potential to fail sooner if not maintained properly. Proper maintenance may help prevent that damage. It’s as simple as doing some of your own roof upkeep, including simple inspections and gutter maintenance to extend the life of your roof.
Common materials like asphalt shingles, wood shakes, or concrete tiles all suffer from common trouble areas, like around skylights, vents and chimneys. Typically, these trouble spots can be attributed to damaged flashing and sealants that are supposed to keep water out. Over time, normal weathering, moss and tree leaves can cause damage to the flashing and the shingles themselves. Shingles can crack or break and allow water into the roof layers underneath and eventually leak into the home or business. Regular inspections can help prevent damage from becoming a bigger problem. You may need a professional inspection if:
- Leaves or Evergreen Needles collecting on your roof and in your gutters (Leaves, pine needles, twigs or silt buildup will trap water and cause a capillary action where water tracks underneath the tiles or shingles and seeps into the home.)
- Clogged Gutters (Gutters clogged with debris will slow drainage or cause water to backup giving it time to seep through and cause leaks.)
- Moss and Algae growing on your roof
- You live in a high wind area
- Your home gets snow and ice build up on an annual basis
- Your roof is more than 5 years old
- You have a brick or stone chimney that is more than 10 years old
- You have skylights that are more than 10 years old
The more of these factors that apply to your roof, the more often your roof will need maintenance. Even if you have none of these issues, you want to have your roof looked at every 5 years minimally.
Roof maintenance isn’t expensive when you use the Guardian Roofing Maintenance program. In fact we perform our initial evaluation for FREE! Our technician will thoroughly inspect your roof and its components. They will review their findings with you. If there is any work recommended, they will discuss the options available to you. The amount of service usually ties to the factors listed above, plus the regularity of previous maintenance and the size of the roof that needs care.
And, while you are inspecting your roof to see if you have any damage, you need to inspect your attic as well. Often the attic and the crawlspace of the home is overlooked, allowing potential health hazards like pest infestations and mold development to go unchecked. Dangers to the integrity of your home can also start in the attic or crawlspace, like condensation buildup, wood rot, and deficient insulation.
Attic Clean-outs & Crawl Space Cleaning
Improve air quality, energy efficiency, and prevent pest infestations with regularly scheduled attic and crawlspace clean-outs. Our certified technicians will thoroughly inspect your attic and crawl spaces and develop a plan to eliminate the dangers of mold, pests, and other harmful pollutants. Minimize the risk of moisture, mold, and pest damage to your home by allowing professionals to install vapor barrier in your crawlspace. Properly installed vapor barrier can also regulate the temperature of your home and improve energy efficiency.Having a difficult time regulating the temperature of your home? Insufficient or old insulation might be to blame. Let Guardian remove your old insulation and replace it with top of the line products.
Droppings, chewed wires, and scuffling in walls are indications of pests (specifically rodents) who love to burrow and take refuge within your home and insulation. These rodents and insects can eat away at the integrity of your home and often carry harmful diseases that put the health of your home and family in jeopardy. Our technicians will remove evidence of an infestation, set humane traps, and will seal off any entry points to prevent new pests from entering the home.
To protect your roof investment, the National Roofing Contractors association recommends that your roof be extensively inspected AT LEAST once a year- if conducted correctly an inspection and regular maintenance program will not only add years to the life of the roof, but it will detect minor problems before the damage is widespread and costly.
17 Point Roof Inspection
If you’ve ever gone through the stress and expense of replacing your roof, the last thing you want to do is risk having to do it again when the next storm hits. At Guardian Roofing, our Seattle Roofing Experts provide long-lasting roof repairs and replacement from most any storm with our proven industry-leading installation process.
This painstaking process is what makes our roof solutions tougher than most others. That all adds up to roofing systems that last longer, protecting your family and home for years beyond roofs installed by ordinary standards.
Our 17 Point Roof Inspection includes checking for:
- Proper shingle overhangs at gutters, and eves.
- Measure for, and calculate for proper attic ventilation.
- Inspect attic intake vents for blockage.
- Interior attic inspection for moisture, or dry rot.
- Inspect attic insulation for proper R-Value.
- Inspect all storm collars at pipes for proper seal.
- Inspect all valleys for cracks and determination.
- Inspect roof for missing shingle granules.
- Check gutters and downspouts for blockage.
- Inspect fasten method used from the original installation.
- Inspect flashings at all walls.
- Check for loose shingles.
- Inspect seals on shingles to help prevent wind damage.
- Inspect all pipe flashings for cracks.
- Inspect all Attic vents for holes or cracks detraction.
- Inspect all rubber boots at top of pipes for dry rot.
- Check to see if shingles are curled, brittle, or deteriorated.
If you are in need of a complete roof inspection, please call 877-926-9966 or schedule online so we can make sure your are protected from all the harsh elements that may damage your home!
Guardian Roofing recommends asking for our free roof and attic inspection. Our expert tile roof inspector will determine if your roof is at risk. If your roof is in need of maintenance, we’ll use our gentle process of air and light rinsing to get the roof and water channels clean. So, if you have moss and algae issues, give us a call at 877-926-9966, or schedule a free inspection online.